UVC sanitisation is accomplished through the process of ultraviolet germicidal irradiation. DNA of microorganisms heavily absorbs the Ultraviolet light of wavelength between 200nm-280nm. This light destroys the nucleic acids and disrupts the DNA of microorganisms, making them unable to perform vital cellular functions, deactivating them and making them incapable of reproducing.
UV sanitisers help eliminate up to 99.9% of all germs, viruses, bacteria, mold and other pathogens with the use of water or any harsh chemicals. Leading to its widespread application in food, air, water purification.
Best uses of UVC Sanitizer:
- Surface disinfection: UVC light efficiently deactivates drug-resistant superbugs, fungi, bacteria and viruses. UV Disinfection may take a few seconds or minutes, depending on the UV dosage. It can clean and sanitise single-use masks and various surfaces. The sanitisation boxes and bags help sterilise tools and accessories like mobile phones, toothbrushes, keys etc. Sanitising wand can be used to reduce the spread of germs in the bathroom, kitchen tops, nursery rooms and porous surfaces such as sofa, bedsheets, carpets etc.
- Air Disinfection: UV lamps help keep microbes from forming in naturally damp places. It is a possible countermeasure against COVID-19 spread. UV disinfection is a function of time and intensity of radiation. UV lamps can be placed in filtration systems to reduce microorganisms population in air.
- Water Disinfection: UV irradiation is a purely physical and chemical-free process which is helpful in efficiently reducing even the extremely resistant bacterias. It is an inexpensive and effective method of water disinfection.
- Wastewater Treatment: UV sanitisation helps replace chlorination in sewage treatment. It ensures the water is free from harmful organisms and chemical by-products. UV irradiation helps in reducing the outbreak of diseases due to unwanted microorganisms in aquariums and ponds.
- Lab Sanitisation: Biological safety cabinets are used in microbiology labs to disinfect surfaces and various types of equipment such as safety google, pipette, lab instruments, glassware, etc.
- Food and Beverage Industry: Safe method of increasing the lifetime of food and beverage. It sterilises fresh-pressed juices and food products by reducing the number of pathogens in fruit and vegetable juices.